Hi there! I hope you’ve had a good week. As most of you are heading towards your holiday destinations in the next few weeks, it’s time to see whether you’re fit enough for your holiday. Try to answer the following questions and at the end you get to see how good your holiday English is. All answers are worth 1 point each except for questions 25-27. I wish you all the best of luck!
Here it goes!
1. I …. travelling ….. Malta …… plane
a. am / in / by
b. is / to / with
c. am / to / by
2. We …. going …. the beach
a. are / in
b. are / to
c. is / to
3. Which answer is NOT correct? Most …. like travelling
a. of people
b. of the people
4. Which of the following answers is the politest?
Excuse me …. you help me?
5. I …. like to go …. the museum
a. would / by
b. want / to
6. What is the …. way to the restaurant?
7. Have you …. ….. fish and chips?
a. ever / eat
b. never / eat
c. ever / eaten
8. Where …. you spend your next holiday?
c. going to
9. I am very …. ….. my holiday
a. excited / with
b. excitable / about
c. excited / about
10. Where can I …. ….. my flight?
a. check in / with
b. register / for
c. check in / for
11. Which word / phrase is the odd one out?
c. too much
12. Which word(s) / phrase(s) is / are the odd one out?
a. take off
d. check out
13. Which word / phrase is the odd one out?
14. Are holidays really ….?
15. Which word ISN’T correct? When does my plane ….?
16. Which word ISN’T correct? When does the plane …. ?
c. get in
17. Where is …. 18?
18. I …. like a room …. a balcony please
a. want / with
b. would / by
c. would / with
19. How …. does the room cost …. night?
a. lot / per
b. much / a
c. much / per
20. Which of these words is the odd one out?
21. Which word is the odd one out?
22. Each of these following words describes ONE word, which one is it? Entertainment, fun, friends, music, dancing.
23. Each of these following words describes ONE word, which one is it? Opinion, express, good, positive, say.
24. How can you describe adventure holiday the best?
a. to learn about history, art etc
b. to relax and have fun
c. to play or watch sporting events
d. to do extreme activities
e. travel agencies
25. Choose the right word for the following. I can bring your bags up to your room, if you would like.
a. can’t have brought
b. could have brought
c. ought to have brought
26. What is another way of saying the boldened expression? My parents got themselvesa suitcase for our holiday.
b. to have bought
c. have bought
27. We …. (discovered) a new beach. It was really quiet and clean!
a. ought to have discovered
b. should have discovered
c. might have discovered
Well done for giving this test a go! Here are the answers:
Well done for doing the test!
Your vocabulary and grammar are still very basic for travelling to an English-speaking country. They could still need improvement.
Congratulations! You have mastered the English language. You have an extensive vocabulary knowledge and an amazing understanding of the English grammar. When you travel to an
English-speaking country you can blend in as a local.
I look forward to hearing from you and you telling me what your final results were!